Most women are aware of the health benefits to her baby if she is able to breast feed. It builds the baby’s immunity, protecting him/her from disease, it’s been related to having a higher IQ, it’s easier to digest, it decreases the chance for the baby to develop allergies, vision defects or asthma, it also usually soothes the baby into sleeping. The list goes on. But, did you know that it’s been proven breast feeding will also decrease the mother’s risk of breast cancer? Breastfeeding will also lower the mother’s risk of Type 2 Diabetes, Ovarian Cancer and Postpartum Depression. Of course it’s understandable that for some women, breastfeeding might be impossible for specific health reasons or because they’re working. However, for new mothers that have the option, read more reasons why it might be the right decision:
10 Reasons to Breastfeed:
10. Breastfeeding is a natural contraceptive.
9. It’s green…consider the packaging products saved!
8. It’s easy: You don’t have to lug around bottles of formula everywhere you bring your baby or remember to buy more at the store.
7. It puts your baby to sleep. (And you!)
6. It’s a workout- Mothers burn, on average, 500 calories a day breastfeeding.
5. Breast milk is always the right temperature.
4. It’s free and formula can add up to be very expensive.
3.The World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF recommend it.
2. It protects the mother from various diseases and cancers. (Including breast cancer)
1. It protects your baby from disease and future health problems.
For more reasons and citations for each of these visit: http://www.notmilk.com/101.html
For more about the decreased risk of breast cancer: http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/NotBreastfeeding.html