Cheese. Yummy. Love, comfort, flavor, dee-lish, calories, fat, digestive issues, oh my!
If you’re like me, you love cheese. If you’re like me, you care about your health. I’m on a mission to find the perfect Alfredo sauce for me and my three (selective) children. Through my pursuit, I’ve come across a recipe care of the fabulous Kris Carr, cancer survivor and woman extraordinaire. Made with raw cashews, pine nuts and some other simple ingredients, this recipe is completely dairy free and vegan (if that’s your thang). I’m going to be making this lovely looking dish this week, with the addition of broccoli – because that’s how I like my Alfredo! Be sure to check back with UBCF for a complete review care of me and my three “Men in Training”. Don’t be shy, try this Alfredo out yourself and let us know what you think!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons raw pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cups cooked fettuccine (or other pasta of your choice)
- 3 tablespoons freshly minced parsley
1. In a blender, grind cashews and pine nuts into a fine powder. Add water, lemon juice, garlic, nutmeg and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
2. Transfer sauce to a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk as you bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7 minutes, whisking regularly. Stir in black pepper.
3. Serve over hot pasta and garnish with parsley and fresh ground pepper to taste.